Broad Transactional Experience
During a 15-year stint in the business group of an AmLaw 100 law firm, I had the privilege of working with some of the largest companies in the United States as well as a number of entrepreneurial start-ups. The projects were varied, and included the following:
• A series of acquisitions that ultimately created the nation’s second largest onshore oil/gas drilling company.
• The purchase of a premier downtown Denver building site and development of a newly-constructed high rise that serves as the international headquarters of a leading dialysis company.
• A complicated public tender offer/back-end merger that secured lucrative benefits for both the company’s founders and their employees.
• The negotiated workouts of large financing.
• The negotiation of joint ventures involving the commercial development of various technologies.
• Several private placement offerings that provided funding for the development of products and services.
• The acquisition and disposition of pipelines and related transportation facilities.
• The acquisition and sale of mineral rights and royalty interests.
• The coordination of legal work necessary to support the distribution network of a large healthcare supplier.
• The licensing of well-known brands for extension into new product niches.
• Serving as temporary general counsel of life sciences companies acquired by a client.
Vertical Industry Expertise – Hospitality
While I have a diverse legal practice, I especially enjoy working in the hospitality sector. Over the past 10 years, I have worked closely with both nationally-known hospitality companies and independent developers with respect to hotel and shared ownership projects located in urban environments (New York, Chicago, San Francisco), resort destinations (California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Missouri, Montana, Oregon and Texas), and international locales (Anguilla, Bali, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Mexico). My experience also includes assisting established and start-up businesses as they explore and implement products intended to provide new and supplementary travel benefits and vacation options on a cost-efficient basis. In addition to developers, my clients include property and rental management companies, travel clubs, exchange providers, resale companies, marketing consultants and lead generation servicers.
My focus on the hospitality sector has yielded many honors, including:
• Serving as Colorado counsel for the timeshare industry’s trade association, the American Resort Development Association (ARDA). In this position, I have helped spearhead legislation in Colorado simplifying the timeshare foreclosure process (C.R.S. 38-33.3-316.5) and regulating the timeshare resale market (C.R.S. 6-1-703 and 703.5).
• Being named to the Colorado Division of Real Estate’s Subdivision Task Force.
• Being named allied volunteer of the year by the Colorado Hotel and Lodging Association.
• Serving as Chairman of ARDA’s Resale Forum.
• Serving on ARDA’s Travel Club Task Force.
• Serving on the ARDA International Foundation Research Committee.
• Being recognized as the only US-based lawyer making material contributions to Mexico’s regulations governing the sale of shared ownership products (a/k/a the Timeshare NOM).
• Serving on the working committee tasked with rewriting the timeshare laws in St. Maarten.
• Serving as an adjunct professor with a course on the management of fractional/timeshare resorts at The Hospitality College – Johnson & Wales University.